August 8, 2011

Hair today, gone tomorrow, Part 2

So, I got pretty tired of watching giant fistfuls of hair falling out. It was messy, as it created giant tumbleweed hairballs roaming the floors, but the emotional trauma was worse. Of course, I knew full well that my hair would probably fall out, but the knowledge didn't seem to have any impact on my emotional ability to cope with it.

It wasn't so bad at first, but it seemed to get faster and faster and more and more every day. From Friday to Saturday (the day after I posted the photo of the sink), I lost enough hair to fill an entire gallon size plastic bag! That was truly shocking for me. (Sorry for the visual, but I have to share.... Every time I washed my hair, I could feel giant clumps travel down my back and legs- so creepy!) Plus, it seemed that the "little" that was left had changed texture. It was thin, limp and stringy and looked awful even after just washing it. So I decided that was enough of that.

My friend, Julie, emailed me and offered to cut or clip my hair for me. Since she uses clippers to cut her husband's and son's hair, she was comfortable enough with using them to lend me a hand. (Never having shaved my own head before, I wouldn't dream of attempting it myself!) I decided to take her up on it.

Julie came over on Sunday morning, and we set up shop in the bathroom to minimize the mess.

First, Julie cut off all the remaining long hair with scissors so the clippers wouldn't get blocked up. In seeing the clippings, there was actually more left than I had thought!


Then Julie shaved the hair to a bit more than 1/2 inch. That seemed a bit long so we did another pass to make it shorter. Even though I never really wanted a buzz cut, it did somehow look better a bit shorter.

Here I am modeling the "do" on my balcony and trying to look happy about it. "Fake it until you make it," right?


The side view:

While I'd still rather have my normal hair, the buzz cut doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. Luckily, as some friends have pointed out, my head is shaped well so it looks smooth with little hair. It's also now possible for me to put on my cute new wig without so much work. So I've now got two options for hairstyles!


Although the hair continues to fall out, the little pieces don't bother me as much as the long ones. Plus, the buzz cut makes for a good transition between lots of long hair to none. Hopefully the remaining hair loss won't be nearly as hard, and now I can rely on my darn cute wig to make me feel less like a cancer patient!

2 comments:

Amy Morgan-Yrjola said...

You look great in the wig and without it!!! You are a brave soul Anna.

Amanda said...

Hope things post-chemo #2 are going okay. Thinking of you everyday!