September 23, 2008

Fall in Helsinki

The classic signs of fall have appeared: kids going back to school, the leaves changing colors, days starting to get shorter and snowsuits. What? Yes, snowsuits. Apparently, when the temperature drops below 60 degrees (15C), many Finnish parents seem to think their kids are going to turn into popsicles if they are not bundled up like living Weebles (you know, they wobble, but they don't fall down!). 

Today, as I passed through the park next to our house, every kid on the playground was wearing a snow suit, snow boots, mittens and winter hats. I don't know how they weren't melting! As a point of reference, I was wearing capri pants, a t-shirt and a light, 3/4-length-sleeved, cotton sweater and Crocs (without socks). In my mind, at 15C, it was lovely early fall weather. What's more, the sun was still out so it seemed even warmer than the thermometer registered. 

I could swear that some of the parents were eye-balling me to figure out why I was not bundling Leila up similarly. She was wearing a long-sleeved, footed sleeper with a sweater over it and extra socks and a fleece hat. I thought that the hat might be overkill, but I figured it would keep her ears warm. Maybe I'm the weird one, but I thought that was sufficient, especially since she was in the baby carrier and therefore drawing heat from me as well.

If the kids are this bundled at 15C, what the heck do they wear when it's -15C?? I'm so curious to find out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When it's -15C, the kids will look like the Michelin man (you know the tire guy?). They are quite cute and sweatty (although they can't move...) :D

Yeah we Finns don't exercise much, wonder why?