February 9, 2009

The Brussels Sprout

The other day, I was cleaning brussels sprouts for dinner, and Leila was looking on with keen interest. She kept reaching for the cleaned sprouts so I decided to give her one. She was enthralled with it and played with it for quite a long time. As you can see in the first couple of shots, she's pretty overjoyed!



As it was just the right size to fit in her mouth, Leila sucked on the sprout, using it as a teething toy. It made a hilarious sound! I was laughing so hard I had trouble steadying the camera to take photos...



Then it was time for me to feed Leila. So while I was prepping her food, she decided to bang on the sprout with her spoon and bat it around on the table. I didn't quite catch that action in the shot, but you get the idea.


Once I did start feeding her, she didn't even want to put the sprout down while she ate! She insisted on holding it throughout.


I don't think she's actually unhappy in this photo. I'm guessing she just got tired of smiling and playing so much!



8 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's adorable! At least Leila's learning to love her vegetables. How many kids hate brussel sprouts? I'm sure they outnumber those that like them by a significant margin!

Anna said...

I know, right? I think that brussels sprouts get a bad rep. I actually liked them as a kid and still consider them one of my favorites. I think they're cute because they look like little baby cabbages, and, if you get them fresh and cook them right (as is not overcook them), they really are good. My favorite way is roasted- yum!

Qiong Wang said...

It's so funny! haha...
I didn't know that this passion for Brussels sprouts can pass from mom to daughter! ;-)

Del Carmen said...

Hmmm... I was waiting with bated breath for the magic moment when she would gnaw a chunk of brussel sprout goodness and smile in great delight!

Helena said...

You know in Finnish these are called "rose cabbage", sounds much more eatable than and less exotic than brussel sprout?

Sara said...

Leila is the cutest and smiliest baby! And I am sure you have noticed that she is a total Mini-Anna:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Why aren't you posting anymore? I miss the vicarious joy I get from your posts. cheers, gillian (minding 2 kids in San Francisco)

Jennifer said...

This is such a cute story. You know, Leila is always welcome to British Sunday dinner at our house. I wish our kids could learn from her.