September 10, 2011

Giving Myself an "A" for Effort (and Bravery)

Back in March, I was gearing up for a new exercise routine to help me take off the rest of the baby weight from my pregnancy with Elisa. I got a good deal on a 5 class exercise pass through City Deal (Groupon in the US), which I planned to use once we got back from our trip to California in April. Unfortunately, after my diagnosis in May and the subsequent surgery and chemotherapy, I didn't quite get around to taking those classes yet...

So now the pass is expiring on September 16, and I figured I'd better attempt to use it so I won't have wasted my money. On Thursday, I went to my first exercise class in months, and it was HORRENDOUS. I found myself among about 20 20-something women, all of whom were fairly petite and fit with push-up exercise tops and perfect hair and makeup. In comparison, I felt gargantuan, old, ugly and fat.

As if just looking physically out of my league wasn't bad enough, I couldn't even keep up with the class. I tried to look beyond that and give myself kudos just for showing up. (After all, I did have chemo just a week before.) However, I was totally uncoordinated and painfully aware of just how out of shape I've gotten over the last few months. The Russian ballerina instructor with the attitude of a Marine Corps drill instructor didn't help matters. I left the class thoroughly deflated and in tears.

On Friday, I decided that, if I ever want to get back in shape (and use up my pass before it expires), I'd have to give it another go. Although I didn't get any younger or more fit overnight, the second class went significantly better. For one thing, there were only 7 women this time. They were all still younger and more fit, but at least a couple of them were equally uncoordinated. The instructor was also very kind and patient with everyone so I managed to keep up and actually get a good workout.

So, after all that, I figure I deserve an "A" for Effort and one for Bravery as well. Hopefully I'm now over the biggest hurdle- just getting back into the game. It's still going to be challenging both to my self-esteem and my body, but, if I can overcome cancer, surely I can conquer this!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go, Anna! I haven't been to the gym in a very long time. You're doing better than I am!!!
Love, Molly

Dan Watson said...

Old and out of shape??? I'm the poster child! I keep saying I'll get back "one of these days ..."

Good on you!

Dan

Angela said...

very impressive!

Anna said...

Thanks for the support, guys! I'm going to attempt again this week. Slowly but surely...