October 14, 2011

Thank heavens for Leila!

It's not the Leila you're probably thinking of (my daughter), although I'm awfully glad to have her, too. Today I'm especially thankful for Leila, the super kind and helpful oncology nurse at the Cancer Clinic.

She was the chemotherapy nurse I had for my first treatment. We seemed to develop a rapport once I told her that my daughter's name is Leila, too. You see, there are fairly many Finnish Leilas in the generation of women in their 50s and 60s but not so many little Leilas. So whenever I meet an older Leila and tell her about my daughter, she usually seems pretty tickled that there's a new generation of Leilas coming along!

Anyway, you can probably imagine how crazy nervous I was at that first chemo treatment. However, Nurse Leila was extremely calm and patient in explaining the hundreds of things that were happening and all the details that I needed to remember. She answered all my questions thoroughly and continuously checked on me throughout the process to be sure I was doing okay. She seemed genuinely concerned for my personal well-being and not just in getting me through that treatment so she could move on to the next patient. She even suggested that, while I had a break between the Herceptin and the Docetaxel administrations to check for reactions, my friend Vanessa and I go downstairs to the cafe and try to have some lunch. Leila was all-around a caring, thoughtful nurse, and she even spoke very good English (a big bonus in these situations)!

Although I've seen Leila nearly every time since, she hasn't been personally assigned to me again until this most recent treatment (the fifth). I was actually kind of relieved to have her this time since the fourth treatment was so rough for me. I felt a bit more relaxed having her there since I know she's so competent. Even the friend who kept me company this round noted how good Leila was.

As we got started, Leila asked me how the fourth treatment went and what I discussed with the oncologist last Friday. She listened very carefully and asked me additional questions, especially about my comments regarding feeling unable to stay in one position very long. Apparently, one of the anti-nausea medications causes "restlessness" in some patients. So she suggested that I not take that drug and instead substitute another, which she gave me so I wouldn't have to go to the pharmacy for it. She also said it has a bit of a relaxing, drowsy effect that might help with my ability to rest. Since the oncologist had not even thought of this, I was super grateful that Leila did.

And, voila! I did have some issues with nausea (and vomiting, unfortunately) on Wednesday night, probably because I didn't manage to take the anti-nausea meds before I really felt nauseous. I then took the drugs and went to bed at 8:30 pm and woke up at 6 am on Thursday feeling okay. I was moving a bit slowly but otherwise alert and calm. I even managed to do my presentation at the American Women's Club meeting and join some friends for lunch afterwards!

Today, Friday, which was my worst day last time, has been generally okay. Of course, it helped quite a bit that the girls were in daycare this time. However, I think the real saving grace was that change in medications that Leila suggested. I still have the fatigued, headachy, queasiness like during a hangover, but this time I've been spared the 40-week pregnant and jet-lagged part. It's still no picnic, but I don't feel like I might rather be dead. I managed to watch a little tv, read some of my book and take a nap so that was a vast improvement from not being able to do ANYTHING the last time.

So, again, I'm extremely thankful for Leila today. The fact that she listened carefully enough to my symptoms to catch something important and took steps to correct it has made a huge difference in my ability to cope this time. I'm not nearly as fearful of finishing out this treatment cycle and undergoing the next one. I think I'll have to be sure to find Leila next time and let her know how much she helped me. THANK YOU, LEILA!!

6 comments:

susan kennedy said...

Hi anna,
glad to hear things went better this time.
thinking of you,
love,
susan

Molly Z. said...

Just one more treatment to go, right, Anna?!?!?

Amanda said...

I hope you get her for your LAST treatment! Amazing how these drugs that are supposed to help can cause other issues!!!

Genoa said...

Oh, Anna. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I'm so sad you're having to go through this, but I'm so impressed with the person you are, and I know that you have the fortitude to get through this. Several people in my life have had trouble with medications - types and quantities. It's all about communication with your doctor/nurse, since there are usually options. I'm so thankful Leila had a better option. Much love to you, wonderful, sweet, brave Anna.

Anna said...

@Amanda- NO kidding. I'm taking an entire pharmacy these days. Some things to counteract the chemo and then things to counteract those. It's ridiculous but hopefully over soon!!
@Genoa- Thanks for your love and support. I'm just so incredibly grateful that Leila was on the ball enough to suggest a change. Love to you, too!

Anonymous said...

Just read all the comments and am so GLAD that all is going well for you....look forward to Christmas when it will nearly all be over.......hugs Bernadette