November 23, 2011

Giving thanks

Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I figured it is a perfect time to reflect on some of the things I'm grateful for this year. Of course, I'm not glad I got cancer. However, even given that reality, there are still plenty reasons to give thanks. There isn't room or time to mention everything for which I am grateful, but here are some of the highlights.

I am thankful that:
I found the tumor at all but especially in time to do something about it.
The diagnoses of my two friends prompted me to get the tumor checked, even though I was sure it couldn't be cancer...
I had a nice vacation in April before my diagnosis.
My mastectomy surgery was successful in removing the tumor with clean margins.
My lymph nodes were clear.
My parents were able to visit while I was recovering from surgery.
We got spots in a good, publicly subsidized daycare for both kids and that they are happy there.
I made it through six rounds of chemotherapy.
I have a nicely shaped head. It made hair loss just a little more tolerable.
I got so much invaluable advice and support from my friends who have/had breast cancer.
I had excellent care throughout my treatment. I feel truly blessed to have had such caring and competent surgeons, oncologists, and oncology nurses.
Nurse Leila caught the cause of my hideous side effects after the fourth round of chemo.
I hardly had to pay anything for all that outstanding care.
I have so many friends who stepped up to give their support in a variety of ways: accompanying me to chemo, preparing meals, taking Leila on outings, babysitting, checking in on me, distracting me, visiting me, sending care packages and emails/cards/texts of good wishes, and much more. THANK YOU ALL!!!
My husband still finds me attractive after all I've been through...
I don't have to do radiation or additional Herceptin treatments so I am officially done with cancer treatment just in time for the holidays!!
I get to spend Christmas and New Year's in California with my family.
I can "start over" in 2012.

I am also incredibly thankful for my two sweet daughters. Although it was hard work to fulfill parenting duties on top of cancer treatment, having that to focus on was good distraction. They have both done so well throughout this process, and I hope they will be stronger for it in the long run.

On that note, I have one more thing to mention. Both girls stayed home from daycare today because they had dental check ups. Of course, I'm thankful that we all survived the appointments and that both girls have healthy teeth. Moreover, I'm so happy that Elisa chose to take her first steps today while home with me instead of at daycare! I've missed a lot over the last six months and am thankful I didn't miss this:


I wish everyone, near and far, a very happy Thanksgiving surrounded by family and/or friends. Thank you for being a part of my life.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Anna, for being such a positive person and for sharing with us your experiences and thoughts. Having you as a friend gives a lot to me, even if we don't know each other so well yet and we only meet now and then. I wish you the best of holidays and a marvellous year 2012!

Aija

Helena S said...

Beautifully written! Happy thanksgiving to you too! May 2012 bring nothing but happiness to you and your family!

Helena S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie Artz said...

Anna, you are an inspiration! I am so thankful that you get to be done with treatment in time to enjoy the holidays!

Because of the bravery you've shown in all of your blogs about your fight against cancer, I have nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. You rock!!! http://www.terminalverbosity.com/2011/11/25/the-liebster-blog-award/

vava said...

What marvellous news that treatment is over and I loved Eia's first steps. It has been a privilege to follow your courageous fight and in some way to help. Have a wonderful Christmas and a good New Year.

Valerie

Anna said...

Thank you, Aija, for reading! I am also thankful to have you as a friend since I really respect the work you do (and your passion for it) and appreciate being "in the know" on the current issues. Hope to get together sometime soon! Best wishes to you and your family for the holidays and a great new year!

Thanks, Helena! I sure hope 2012 is a good one for all of us!

Thank you, Julie! Wow, an award? How cool!!

Thanks, Valerie, for your support. Best wishes to you for a happy Christmas and New Year!

David Haas said...

Hello,
I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
Thanks,
David